Bangladesh Premier League T20
The fourth edition of the Bangladesh Premier League is going to take place in this coming November; BCB Media Committee chairman Jalal Yunus informed about the matter.
Latest topics
Buy Now
Sponsored
Facebook
Sponsored

Mashrafe offered to play fixed-match

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mashrafe offered to play fixed-match

Post  Admin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 am

As the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) is set to take the field, the match fixing row rocked the tournament which was the focal point during the six teams’ press meet at a local hotel in the city on Thursday. It was known that Dhaka Gladiators skipper Mashrafe Bin Mortoza was offered to play a fixed-match. He however ignored it and immediately brought up it to the team management’s notice.

The captains while talking to the reporters in the press meet had to face the volley of questions regarding the issue.
“No, I have no idea. I or we had not got any offer from anybody to match-fixing ,” Khulna Royal Bengals skipper Shakib Al Hasan was straight forward to reply the question.

Mashrafe however was not in the press conference since he was playing play-off match against Brothers Union in the Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League. His teammate Ashraful who attended the press meet said that everybody should have to inform it should anyone get this kind of illegal offer.

“Mashrafe informed this to the team management. If anything would happen, we also should have to inform it to the team management.”

Mashrafe was asked to provide information on whether he would play certain matches and even whether he would be wearing his sunglasses or a cap when he takes the field.

In exchange, he was told, he would be paid 15-20 percent of the earnings from the spot-betting.

BCB officials said Mashrafe has been asked to reveal the name of the player who made the approach.

“This is a very serious offence,” BCB spokesman Jalal Yunus told reporters. “We have zero tolerance towards these things and will do whatever is needed to nail it down quickly.

“Mashrafe has to disclose the name of the player. It needs to be addressed very seriously.”

Mashrafe will be speaking to officials of the International Cricket Council’s Anti-Corruption Security Unit before the matches get under way on Friday, Yunus said.

Barisal Burners skipper Shahriar Nafees said that it would not happen regularly as he hoped to end the tournament without further fuss.

“Accident doesn’t happen always. I hope it would not happen in our country as our players are very honest in this regard,” Nafees said.

The players’ however thought that BPL would not have negative effect on them.

“You will get the effect of the BPL after the tournament. Right now it is very much difficult to say it’s effect, you see after end of the occasion,” said Shakib.

Shakib, former Bangladesh captain said that two or three days is not enough for the tournament, “It would be better if we would have at least seven days. I would try to capitalise my experiences,” Shakib replied to another query.

All the captains appeared to rotate out of their respective sides to hand a debut BPL.

However, only the Peter Trego, the captain of the Sylhet, had not to face any query on this embarrassing issue of the match fixing.

Peter Trego, an English all-rounder, who have some experience with leading the England’s domestic teams, felt honoured to have the responsibility to lead a team in abroad however the all-rounder said, “I feel honoured to be the captain of Sylhet Royals.

“I have many more experiences wearing the captain’s hat, so I thing it would be no problem for me. I will try to capitalise my experiences,’ said Trego.

Trego, though joined the team recently believes on teamwork and said, “We will work as unit, bowling together, batting and fielding together.”

But the English man thinks that the team’s main strength is lying on it’s opening stand, “An opening strength can bring the team to a certain stage with constructing a strong foundation.”

Trego terming the T20 cricket is very interesting and enjoying version of cricket saying, “Actually T20 is a very interesting very enjoyable, from the beginning to end you will enjoying the match.”

“Orgainisng the T20, I think it’s very much positive for Bangladesh cricket. Players will gain immensely from the tournament and get much exposure.”

The seaming all-rounder however did not mention any team as favourites, “It’s very much difficult to say which who is the best team to win the title. All the franchise formed with local and players from abroad. In the sub-continent condition is something tricky for the performers from outside.”

Chittagong Kings captain Mahmudullah Ryad and Duronto Rajshahi skipper Mushfiqur Rahim had delayed to attend the press meet.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://bplt20.actionboard.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum